[Openstack] OpenStack Academic Alliance|Circle|Initiative #unconference

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Oct 11 16:04:26 UTC 2011

hello folks,

a group of people interested in academia met in Boston during the
unconference. I was there to take notes and facilitate this community
run initiative. Here is what we agreed so far. I'm sharing it on the
list to gather more ideas.

/stef

OpenStack Academic Initiative

Mission:

      * provide a place for all research academics efforts can be
        advertised and found, about and around OpenStack (not generic
        about IaaS or PaaS)
              * a list of papers published and ongoing research
              * a list of conferences about cloud
      * maintain a list of ideas for the companies to sponsor research
        like a "market"
      * a place for the companies to say what they need and research can
        execute
              * undergrad level, gsoc-style, time starved but there are
                many of them. it's important to be easy for them to
                contribute
              * masters level, more in depth work, empirical studies
                like performance evaluation
              * phd level, exploratory type of research
      * handle the funding, hr tasks, mentoring: who's going to manage
        this?
              * mentoring is intense and time consuming, but crucial for
                the success of research
      * provide resources, like hardware for tests, for researchers
      * advertise this initiative among researchers
              * Example: setup OpenStack tracks at a couple of relevant
                conference

Next steps: Identify the group responsible for this initiative and
define action items, deadlines and deliverables.