[Openstack] OpenStack API Versioning Conventions

Andy Bierman biermana at Brocade.com
Tue Oct 11 14:15:09 UTC 2011

I agree only the major version should be in the URL, and the major version
must be bumped if any API is changed such that the 'API contract' with existing clients
is broken somehow.  (Standard 'old manager/new agent' stuff.)

Traditionally, the software release version IDs need to be precise,
so when developers get a bug report, they know exactly what software
the customer is using.  Knowing just the API version in use is not good enough.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: openstack-bounces+biermana=brocade.com at lists.launchpad.net [mailto:openstack-bounces+biermana=brocade.com at lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Brian Waldon
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:40 AM
To: Bryan Taylor
Cc: openstack at lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Openstack] OpenStack API Versioning Conventions

I'm all for exposing only the major version in the URI (/v1). We have fallen into a trap with v1.0 and v1.1 as they are not backckwards-compatible specs while their versioning implies they are. I think we can have a whole separate discussion on how to solve that problem, so like I said earlier, I would like to get buy-in on my original proposal before we move on to spec-specific details.

Thanks for the great input, guys!

Waldon