[Openstack] Guidelines for OpenStack APIs

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 14:08:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 16:11 +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> +1 (sorry for the lag, been travelling).
>
> I'd like to start two wiki pages; one collecting goals for the APIs,
> one for collecting common patterns of use in the APIs (not rules, not
> even guidelines).

Yeah, it'd be awesome to have the common patterns described somewhere.
It's hard to discuss potential guidelines without a crisp summary of the
current patterns employed by the APIs.

FWIW, we made some effort to do this for a bunch of related REST APIs.
The result is neither complete or perfect, but it's something like what
I'd imagine would work well here:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_APIs_REST_Style_Guide

Btw, which APIs are we talking about here? Just compute and storage. Or
image and identity too?

Cheers,
Mark.