[Openstack] OpenStack API Versioning Conventions

Brian Waldon brian.waldon at rackspace.com
Tue Oct 11 14:02:35 UTC 2011

Thanks for the feedback, Mark! Comments inline:

On Oct 11, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I think the versioning rules below are fine, but there are some other
> things to think about:
>
> - As others raised, what version (if any) should be in the URIs?
>
>   We could put the full version number in the URIs so long as we
>   maintain support for the older, compatible versions i.e. the current
>   version is 1.5.3 but clients can still use the 1.4.0, 1.5.2 etc. URIs
>
>   The only problem I see with that is that it might appear like
>   clients connecting to the 1.4.0 URI should expect only the features
>   that were available in 1.4.0.
>
>   If we're not going to make it so new features are only exposed to
>   clients requesting the new version, then just including the major
>   version number in the URI is probably the most sane.

This is exactly where I stand. Supporting each minor version has already proven to be a pain, so I would love to *only* support the latest, and the easiest way to communicate this is to use the major version in the URI.

> - Version numbers aren't necessarily the best way to advertise the
>   availability of features - if we made clients query for the
>   availability of the features they're using, you could version the
>   features independently.
>
>   For example, if we decide we must make an incompatible change to some
>   obscure feature, wouldn't it be nice to version the feature rather
>   than bump the major version of the API.
>
>   Also, it allows the API to have optional features that not all
>   service providers support.
>
>   In the API for RHEV-M/oVirt, we went for this approach - all
>   collections are discoverable by link relationships and, if we must
>   make incompatible changes, we will version those relationships.

I think there are two key things here:

1) I think we need to look at Nova as a feature of OpenStack. We version *that* independently from the rest of the suite.

2) We have the concept of extensions (which can be versioned independently from the spec) that provide non-standard functionality through the API. This is how we add optional features within Nova.