[Openstack] Common code

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Oct 10 18:20:26 UTC 2011

I know there was a "heated" discussion for the common code at the essex conference.

I was thinking about it and was wondering if we can establish something like apache commons but for openstack.
This way openstack could have something like apache commons configuration ( http://commons.apache.org/configuration/) which allows multiple backing configuration types (ie files, databases...). This way there still could be a gflags impl and a file impl so that everyone will be happy. Similarly http://commons.apache.org/logging/ provides something similar for logging, perhaps the model that apache has done could be something similar to what openstack could do for its common code. Maybe also these types of projects already exist for python (?) and we just need a common reference point to let others know when they are developing for openstack they should try to use the common components.

-Josh