[Openstack] Access an instance via its public (floating ip) from within the same instance

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Mon Oct 10 11:29:35 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

That part I understand :) Consider these rules (nabbed from forum posting
here<http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewtopic.php?p=655&sid=76f8a08777176b9f939642734f2b23d0#655>
):

iptables -t nat -A prerouting_rule -d WAN_IP -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to
> 192.168.0.10
> iptables -A forwarding_rule -p tcp --dport 80 -d 192.168.0.10 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -s 192.168.0.0/24 -p tcp --dport 80 -d
> 192.168.0.10 -j MASQUERADE

Some pretty "basic" iptables based router distro's like pfSense etc call
this hairpin NAT or NAT reflection.. And, I'm wondering if a
similar technique is possible with the rules OS generates?

(I've quite literally never used NAT with iptables, except indirectly via
Vyatta's config system, so I'm hoping someone more familiar with iptables
NAT can chime in!)

Thanks,
Kiall