[Openstack] Creating openstack-dev mailing list

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Oct 7 13:50:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 22:11 -0400, John Purrier wrote:
> Stefano, can you elaborate on why the developers feel a split is necessary
> at this point? Most (if not all) of the traffic is developer oriented, what
> is the problem we want to solve?

the general feedback I had is that the volume of messages on the
existing list may be too intimidating for newbies. Welcoming new users
and help them launch their OpenStack installations is a major objective
for the Essex cycle.

I understand the concerns voiced by you and others on the list and I
agree with you all. I also have little doubts that the volume of email
messages on this list is too high for new users. We want to have a place
where new users feel welcome, ask simple questions and find answers. We
don't want to create a new place where new users can be ignored.

What do you think would be better to solve this?

/stef