[Openstack] Live Migration and Xen + Libvirt

masumotok at nttdata.co.jp masumotok at nttdata.co.jp
Thu Oct 6 20:26:59 UTC 2011

live migration + Xen is not tested in current version .
if you are in boston now and have xen environment, I may be able to help you.

Kei

________________________________
²î³öÈË: openstack-bounces+masumotok=nttdata.co.jp at lists.launchpad.net [openstack-bounces+masumotok=nttdata.co.jp at lists.launchpad.net] ¤Ï Rog¨¦rio Vinhal Nunes [rogervn at dcc.ufmg.br] ¤Î´úÀí
ËÍÐÅÈÕ•r: 2011Äê10ÔÂ7ÈÕ 2:42
ÍðÏÈ: openstack
¼þÃû: [Openstack] Live Migration and Xen + Libvirt

I'm trying to make live migration work in an environment with Xen and Libvirt, but I found some issues.

The first one I managed to "correct", but it really looks like a bug. The live migration command will fail and the logs will indicate "InstanceNotRunning". That's because when a xen virtual machine is not using the processor, its status is "blocked". I "corrected" it by sending the instance in an infinite CPU loop and waiting for nova-compute to update the DB with the status "running". I don't know how these status are handled by KVM, but at least the migration check should take that in consideration if it plans to work with xen.

The second one is a little more complicated and I haven't found a solution yet, so you may help me with it. After making the vm "running" the live migration just fails and the logs rise an error "Cannot find "'model'". Is there any configuration that is related to this?

trace from nova-manage.log:

(nova): TRACE: Traceback (most recent call last):
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/bin/nova-manage", line 2141, in <module>
(nova): TRACE:     main()
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/bin/nova-manage", line 2129, in main
(nova): TRACE:     fn(*fn_args, **fn_kwargs)
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/bin/nova-manage", line 987, in live_migration
(nova): TRACE:     self._migration(ec2_id, dest)
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/bin/nova-manage", line 976, in _migration
(nova): TRACE:     "block_migration": block_migration}})
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nova/rpc/__init__.py", line 45, in call
(nova): TRACE:     return get_impl().call(context, topic, msg)
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nova/rpc/impl_kombu.py", line 739, in call
(nova): TRACE:     rv = list(rv)
(nova): TRACE:   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nova/rpc/impl_kombu.py", line 703, in __iter__
(nova): TRACE:     raise result
(nova): TRACE: RemoteError: RemoteError Error cannot find 'model'