[Openstack] Several keystone questions ...

Anthony Young sleepsonthefloor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:02:31 UTC 2011

> 1. What's the difference of python-novaclient between devstack<https://github.com/cloudbuilders/python-novaclient>
>  and rackspace <https://github.com/rackspace/python-novaclient> , as I
> know devstack's version forked from rackspace.. but while I install each of
> them... only devstack's python-novaclient worked fine with Keystone<https://github.com/cloudbuilders/keystone> .
> Within rackspace version , always got "Invalid OpenStack Nova Credentials"
> how come ??

In general, project branches referenced in devstack/master are either
release branches or slightly-lagging mirrors of trunk.

There was a recent change in python-novaclient where it now expects
tenantName, rather than tenantId, for NOVA_PROJECT_ID.  If you are using the
devstack sample data, you now need to set NOVA_PROJECT_ID to either 'admin'
or 'demo' (Before it expected '1' or '2').

> 2. For now , a keystone server is running . And it seems only support OSAPI
> ...am I right ?  I dig many docs only talk about adding NOVA OSAPI enpoint
> templates , but no one talk about EC2 API(but EC2 features in source code).

I know that there has been work put into ec2 + keystone, but I have not
worked with it personally just yet.  Perhaps someone else has an update?

3. We can using cloud with Dashbord smoothly for basic usage. So does
> nova-client . I found that nova-client CLI tool could not
> add-key-pair/show-keypair ...I think it's fine , just add it direct from API
> endpoint .  But the problem is , "nova boot" can not assign key-pair while
> fire up an instance.

For server.create there is actually support in the underlying python library
for a key_name parameter (
https://github.com/rackspace/python-novaclient/blob/master/novaclient/v1_1/servers.py#L327),
but this has not yet been exposed through the CLI.  There is still work that
need to be done to catch the CLI up to the capabilities of the underlying
python library (keypairs, floating ips, security groups, volumes?)

> 4. The workflow between all services and keystone , plz correct me.
>     novaclient ----> keystone -----> nova ------> keystone ----->
> novaclient
>     glance client -----> keystone ------> glance ------>keystone ------>
> glance client

Jesse summarized the flow for dashboard here, which  is related:
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/tif0lO7tn98ty.tif
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg04211.html

The main difference with novaclient vs. dash is that with novaclient the
tenant is specified, so the part where you use an unscoped token to grab a
tenant list is not needed.

Hope that helps!