[Openstack] Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:34:09 UTC 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> Soren Hansen wrote:
>> I propose we start building packages from the stable branches and put
>> them in an appropriately named/labeled PPA, such as nova-core/diablo-qa
>> or nova-core/diablo-not-for-production (or perhaps under
>> openstack-stable-maint).
>> [...]
>
> That would work (and inside the current project). Just two remarks:
>
> * Expectations are difficult to control. Even if we use an intimidating
> name, some people will still expect this to provide more than it
> actually does. For example, people kept thinking that the "2011.3"
> release PPA would be updated, while it explicitly said it wouldn't.
>
> * I don't think that's what Vish and Monty are after -- they
> specifically mentioned the lack of a production-ready distribution
> channel as the problem that we needed to solve

I won't speak for Monty, but Soren's suggestion checks all of my boxes.  The use case I'm trying to fill is user's with existing infrastructure (or even older openstack installs!) that are evaluating diablo.  We can't expect these users to upgrade to Oneiric.  I just want to be able to tell them a place to go that they can install on Lucid that will actually work.

I don't mind making it clear that they will have to take responsibility for maintaining packages if they want to take it into production. There are so many barriers of entry to getting started with OpenStack, so I'm just trying to pull down as many of those as I can.

Vish