[Openstack] future-me -was- Re: Vulnerability Management concerns: negativity & count

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:38:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at linux2go.dk> wrote:
> 2011/11/24 Lloyd Dewolf <lloydostack at gmail.com>:
>
>> Future-me will be proud that we have a robust solution (which I feel
>> like you guys are challenging me to brainstorm on) and that we've
>> never had a premature disclosure.
>
> We're not quite a point yet where I'd consider that last point any sort
> of success. To me, it's kind of like celebrating that the shuttle hasn't
> exploded yet when the spaceship is still on the launch pad.

I'm not inviting you to my happy place Soren! ;-)

It's a popular communicate technique used to build consensus. I find
it often worthwhile to present things in a number of ways as we all
use different lens, and we don't want to limit our audience
(particularly prematurely).

Examples of variations of this technique are:

* Amazon's "working backwards"
http://www.shmula.com/start-with-the-customer-and-work-backwards/324/
http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2006/11/working_backwards.html

* Automattic often drafts the blog post and help pages before starting on
design and implimentation.

The very best to you,
Lloyd