[Openstack] Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Wed Nov 30 12:59:33 UTC 2011

2011/11/30 Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com>:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 13:07 +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> I propose we start building packages from the stable branches and put
>> them in an appropriately named/labeled PPA, such as
>> nova-core/diablo-qa or nova-core/diablo-not-for-production (or
>> perhaps under openstack-stable-maint).
> I'm not convinced that distribution specific packaging is the best way
> to go about this.

That's a valid discussion.

At the moment, this is what we do for trunk commits. This is how we
generally propose that people test things out. I don't see any reason
why the mechanics for testing the stable branches should be different.
So, a discussion about these mechanisms shouldn't be isolated to the
context of the stable branch.

> I want Fedora users to be able to test out, and get involved with,
> upstream as easily as Ubuntu users are.

I'd be happy for us to build Fedora packages as well, fwiw.

> Same for other distros. The thought of getting into the game of
> maintaining this upstream packaging for multiple distros, and e.g.
> having to make sure any dependencies are packaged for these distros
> ... ugh.

Yes, this is a lot of work. This is one of the primary reasons we chose
a reference platform to begin with: Being able to focus the efforts and
actually succeed rather than trying to do everything and fail.

We had (and have) people involved in the project that could actually
take this on. If someone wants to do the same for Fedora (and other
distros), that'd be awesome.

> I don't have anything concrete to offer as an alternative, but I'd
> love to see something like devstack that runs either from git or
> tarballs and supports multiple distributions.

For production, we recommend people use packages. I think there's a lot
of value in using the same installation mechanism for QA as for
production.

> There's also the likes of jhbuild, GARGNOME, minuteman and surely more
> - perhaps we can take a leaf out of their books?

I hope I'n not stepping on anyone's toes, but I consider those things to
be relics from a time before things such as PPA's became prevalent.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/