[Openstack] Documentation translations

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Nov 29 19:43:17 UTC 2011

Hi all,
As a follow-up to the interest in simplified Chinese manuals, I would
also like to experiment with English-as-source translations. I had
been delaying a "frozen" set of English source files but I think we
could just pick a date and start translating if there is enough
interest and we identify a point-person to manage translations.

Here's a rough outline of a possible process for translations:

1. Take the Docbook source files from openstack-manuals and use
Publican to create .pot files of each manual. [1] Publican produces a
pot file per xml file.
2. Manually upload .pot files to Launchpad to manage translations.
3. Translators go to
https://translations.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals to download files
to work on and upload translated files. In enabling it, I have to
choose a Launchpad group for the translations, does anyone know if the
Launchpad Translators group would be interested?
4. Jenkins automatically copies translated files and builds them and
publishes to docs.openstack.org. (This part I'm not sure how to
automate, needs research).

I would like input on the process and I would like to identify someone
who would like to manage the translation process. If you are
interested, please discuss this topic at the next DocTeam meeting
December 12 at 20:00 UTC. [2]

Thanks,
Anne

[1]  http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/2.4/html/Users_Guide/chap-Users_Guide-Creating_a_document.html#sect-Users_Guide-Preparing_a_document_for_translation