[Openstack] [nova-testing] Efforts for Essex

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Tue Nov 22 17:50:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 12:12 -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
> FWIW, I created a fake database store for Glance originally, and
> indeed the unit tests ran quicker than they do now because we use an
> in-memory SQLite database in the unit tests. That said, switching from
> a faked datastore to a real one that actually used the SQLAlchemy code
> exposed at least 4 bugs that weren't being caught by the fake data
> store.

I don't think anyone disagrees that testing with actual database code is
essential.  However, it seems to me that testing actual database code at
the integration level, rather than at the unit level, would catch these
kinds of bugs while still keeping the unit tests fast, which is part of
the allure of this approach for me.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>