[Openstack] Bug fixes and test cases submitted against stable/diablo

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 9 13:57:44 UTC 2011

Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2011/11/9 Nachi Ueno <ueno.nachi at nttdata-agilenet.com>:
>> I understand your point. Stop QAing stable/diablo and focus on Essex.
>
> Oh, no no. That's not the point. I'm thrilled to have you work on
> QAing Diablo. The only issue is that the fixes you come up with should
> be pushed to Essex first. There are two reasons for this:
>
>  * If we don't push the fixes to Essex, the problems will still be
> present in Essex and every release after that.
>
>  * Having them in Essex lets us try them out, vet them and validate
> them more thoroughly before we let them into the stable branch. When a
> patch lands in the stable branch it has to be well tested already
> (unless of course Essex has deviated too much, in which case we'll
> have to accept the risk of getting it into Diablo directly).

+1

You should submit patches to master and then backport them to
stable/diablo, rather than proposing them for stable/diablo directly.
That ensures your work benefits both branches: making diablo better
without making essex worse than diablo.

If that's just too much work, maybe you should raise the issue at the
next QA meeting to try to get some outside help ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack