[Openstack] proposal for policy around and management of client libraries

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:29:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 21:25 +0000, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> Monty Taylor wrote:
>
> > OpenStack projects that need to depend on these will reference the git repo of the project in their
> > tools/pip-requires file. This should take care of depends for developers. Normal installation depends
> > can be taken care of by distro packagers as usual.
>
> Why would an openstack project *need* to reference a client library of another openstack project?
>
> Wouldn't requiring openstack projects to rely on the REST API of other projects eliminate a whole mess
> of release dependencies?

Yes, but it would also mean a multiplication of bugs, since each project
would be re-implementing a REST API client for all the other projects.

Put another way, I'd rather have the Swift developers writing a Python
client library that I can import into Glance's Swift storage driver than
reimplement an entire client library for Swift without the knowledge
that the Swift contributors bring to the table.

Cheers,
-jay