[Openstack] Usage data like in the dashboard

Monsyne Dragon mdragon at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Nov 3 16:09:42 UTC 2011

On Nov 3, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:

Hi Christian (oh hai list) -
I've answered this a few times recently so I think it's useful to post info to the list. It's a highly requested bit of info. The documentation for "notifications" could be in a couple different areas. There's the the spec/blueprint at http://wiki.openstack.org/SystemUsageData. I believe that project is a work in progress at https://github.com/Cerberus98/yagi. (We need to work on a doc plan, Yagi peeps.)

I know i've been keeping the wiki pages at http://wiki.openstack.org/NotificationSystem#Implementation and  http://wiki.openstack.org/SystemUsageData up to date with info on the notification system itself, and currently available system usage data.  Note that these are as of current trunk, since usage data available has been expanded since Diablo release.
Anne:  is there any other bit of info on the notification system that is needed ?  I'd be happy to spend time chatting with documentation folks about the notification system if that's what it takes to get  some good user docs out there.

As far as Yagi itself, it's still very much in development, so things are sketchy atm, but it's simple to run.  If there's a spot where we can throw some docs, we can start doing that.

Also, here's what a startup did:
"
The way we did it was to keep track of everything ourselves since openstack didn't provide metering data that we needed.  We would log what size vm was started and the image id along with the timestamp, and then log when it was stopped, resized, etc.  There was a reporting API in our tool that customers could query against to pull that information  out and run reports for their billing systems.

Most providers and enterprises that I spoke to were happy with that model but REALLY wanted data about bandwidth usage which we weren't able to provide.  Our answer was to correlate the IP of the VM that was running back with their network monitoring logs for invoicing purposes.  Not the best answer, but all that we were able to do.

For our customers that used CA 3Tera AppLogic, it managed everything from the hypervisor to the virtual networking stack to the app layer and had a full metering API where we could pull all of the data from.  It wasn't the best API, but the data was accurate.  Same with vcloud if I remember correctly."

Also, from NTT Data, Nati Ueno's code for billing is here,
https://github.com/nati/dash_billing
and you can install it using his stack.sh, but it's not fully tested yet)
https://github.com/nati/devstack

I know it's a hotly sought after bit of info. Let me know if this example is the type of info you seek. I'd also like to work on a doc plan for gathering this into the admin guides.
Anne

Anne Gentle
anne at openstack.org<mailto:anne at openstack.org>
my blog<http://justwriteclick.com/> | my book<http://xmlpress.net/publications/conversation-community/> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/annegentle> | Delicious<http://del.icio.us/annegentle> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/annegentle>