[Openstack] Libguestfs??

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Nov 3 08:24:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:42:50AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 20:18 -0700, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was a reason that openstack is not using
> > libguestfs more frequently than not.
> > Was there a technical reason for that, or a lack of packages in
> > distributions (or other reasons?).
> > Just wondering since it seems like its aiming to be a library that can
> > unify mounting different VM files (similar to libvirt).

I got a bug report from the Ubuntu packager that libguestfs didn't
work with python3 yesterday.  I've just fixed it.  Not sure if that
bug was connected with Openstack usage?

> Using libguestfs would make perfect sense. Rich (cc-ed, libguestfs
> author) and I discussed it a little here:
>
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/734727

Another thing would be to use Oz for building images:

http://clalance.blogspot.com/2011/09/oz-070-release.html

(Oz uses libguestfs, but just for unpacking the install image and
injecting files into the final guest operating system.)

I'm actually going to start looking at Openstack in a lot more detail
starting from later this week / early next week.  I want to see if it
can help me solve the problem I have provisioning and managing dozens
of VMs in my local network ...

Rich.