[Openstack] [NetStack] "Attach resource to port" semantics

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue May 31 16:52:48 UTC 2011

Hi Sumit, responses inline.  Thanks,

Dan

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Sumit Naiksatam (snaiksat) <
snaiksat at cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>

> Thanks for your prompt response on this.
>

> As I understand from your explanation, the knowledge of the “edge binding”
> resides with Nova, and in the case of my example that “edge binding” is
> “br100”. Is that correct? If so, how does Nova acquire this knowledge? I ask
> because, my expectation was that “br100” (i.e. the Linux bridge) is created
> and managed by Quantum (and/or the plugin underneath).

The way I see it, the "edge binding" is determined by Nova, then
communicated to Quantum.  It is the one bit of information that must be
shared across both systems.  Nova acquires this information as part of the
VM creation process.  For example, in the case of libvirt with type ethernet
on a linux system, nova would be the one creating the linux device that
represents the VM NIC.  It must then pass this edge binding of (device-name,
linux-system, interface-id) to Quantum, which must be running a plugin that
knows how to manage a vswitch on that linux host that can get/receive
packets from the linux device.

> Also, if we move away from using the interface type “bridge” (in the
> context of libvirt) to “ethernet” as you suggest, would that be the only
> “type” that would be supported? If so, that will not work with VN-Tag/VEPA
> since that requires a type “direct”. If we are indeed not limiting to just
> the “ethernet” type, then how does Nova know which type to use (assuming
> that the knowledge of the underlying network connectivity resides with
> Quantum)?

Our goal is to add more flexibility to the "vif plugging" portion of the
libvirt code to support multiple use cases, including both "ethernet" and
"direct".  In fact, VN-Tag/VEPA was one of the use cases we explored when
deciding on the model.  Based on my understanding of how libvirt handles
802.1Qbg, the libvirt XML includes a <virtualport> object that corresponds
to such a VM NIC and this virtual port includes parameters that identify the
VM, including a an "instanceid" parameter that globally represents the
virtual port.  I would expect that the "edge-binding" in this case would be
(instanceid, interface-id).  As a note, I have not actually used libvirt
like this on an actual VN-Tag/VEPA system.  If you are able to explore this
use case in more detail it would be great feedback for the Quantum design.

> It’s good to hear that the work on Quantum and Nova refactoring is going
> well. While that is in progress, it might be helpful to get some skeletal
> flowcharts (or even textual descriptions) describing the flows (with the
> interaction between Nova and Quantum fleshed out).

I agree that would be valuable.  We'll work on this.

--