[Openstack] Standardizing resource IDs on UUID?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri May 27 21:10:39 UTC 2011

I think Erik's looking for a timeframe for this, too.

We could implement this tomorrow in Glance, but there's been a
conscience decision to use URIs as an image's globally-unique
identifier, and to allow Glance registries to implement whatever image
ID they wanted. This can, of course, change, but would break on
existing Glance installations. The same would be true of Nova, of
course. Old instances would need to be migrated to the new key as
well.

In Nova, I would say the following must all occur:

1) Change the ID in the model from autoinc keys to string/text UUIDs
2) Remove the current logic in various places that looks for integer keys
3) Add a field to the necessary tables for storing the EC2 ID (internal_id?)
4) Update all the test cases to use non-integer keys (PITA)
5) Test, test, test

-jay