[Openstack] Getting pagination right

Thorsten von Eicken tve at rightscale.com
Fri May 27 14:45:36 UTC 2011

On 5/27/2011 6:05 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:

> But, it sounds like folks aren't really concerned about the
> consistency of the view as much as the scalability concerns, and I'm
> perfectly cool with ditching OFFSET in favour of a last-record marker.

THere's consistency and consistency. We need some form of consistency
and thus prefer no pagination, and marker-based pagination over
offset-based. Specifically, when iterating through all pages all items
in the collection must be returned, or said differently, the pagination
must ensure that no items get dropped because they moved from one page
to another while the iteration was happening. Marker-based pagination
achieves that. We don't need point-in-time consistency while iterating
through pages.
Thanks!
Thorsten - CTO RightScale