[Openstack] DRBD storage for Openstack installations

Oleg Gelbukh ogelbukh at mirantis.com
Fri May 27 07:57:06 UTC 2011

Hi
Our approach was defined by need to combine storage and compute on the same
hosts.
Our configuration is dual-primary, so we can run nova-compute and virtual
servers on both nodes and have them with write access to volumes. DRBD
allows this mode out-of-box now, but it requires clustered file system or
great caution when runnning LVM on it.
But nova-volume must run on one node of drbd-connected pair, while the
second gets copy of lvm data via drbd. The tricky part is that it seems we
must activate volumes and volume groups on the peer node, but automation of
this is relatively easy.
For now, we are not going to share volumes outside of drbd-peers pair for
live migration or as attachable volumes, except some special cases like
migrating VMs between drbd pairs.
Looking forward to read couple of words on your approach.