[Openstack] [NetStack] Quantum Service API extension proposal

Troy Toman troy.toman at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon May 23 21:09:33 UTC 2011

I think the idea was slightly different. We were equating a vif to  NIC in a physical server. A port was equated to a switch port on a physical switch. Doesn't necessarily mean they have to be different. But, there was a reason we used different terminology.

In particular, we felt the vif was something that would continue to be in the server's domain and managed within Nova. A port was a construct that is owned and managed by the network service (Quantum).

Troy

On May 23, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Debo Dutta (dedutta) wrote:

Quick question: it seems we are calling one end of the virtual wire a port and the other a vif. Is there a reason to do that? Can we just call say that that a wire connects 2 ports?

Also another interesting network scenario is when there is a wire connecting 2 ports and you have a tap (for all sorts of scenarios). I think the semantics of the tap might be  quite basic.

Regards
debo

From: openstack-bounces+dedutta=cisco.com at lists.launchpad.net<mailto:openstack-bounces+dedutta=cisco.com at lists.launchpad.net> [mailto:openstack-bounces+dedutta=cisco.com at lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Alex Neefus
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 1:05 PM
To: Ying Liu (yinliu2); openstack at lists.launchpad.net<mailto:openstack at lists.launchpad.net>
Subject: Re: [Openstack] [NetStack] Quantum Service API extension proposal

Hi All –

I wanted to lend support to this proposal, however I don’t think we should be so quick to say this whole thing is an extension.

We benefit a lot from having a standard capabilities mechanism as part of our core Quantum API. I like Ying’s key value method as well. I think it’s logical, clean and scalable. I propose that basic read access of “cap” off of our major objects: network, port, interface be included in our first release.

So in summary I would like to encourage us to add:
GET  /networks/{net_id}/conf
GET  /networks/{net_id}/ports/{port_id}/conf/
GET  {entity}/VIF/conf/

Each of these would return a list of keys.

Additionally Quantum base should support
GET  /networks/{net_id}/conf/{key}
GET  /networks/{net_id}/ports/{port_id}/conf/{key}
GET  {entity}/VIF/conf/{key}

Where {key} is the name of either a standard capability or an extention capability. We can define an error code now to designate a capability not supported by the plugin. (i.e. 472 – CapNotSupported)

Finally we don’t need to standardize on every capability that might be supported if we provide this simple mechanism. Specific capabilities Key,Value sets can be added later but or included as vendor specific extensions.

I’m happy to add this to the wiki if there is consensus. Rick/Dan – Maybe this should be a topic for Tuesdays meeting.

Alex

---
Alex Neefus
Senior System Engineer | Mellanox Technologies
(o) 617.337.3116 | (m) 201.208.5771 | (f) 617.337.3019