[Openstack] testing and deploying swift?

Jay Payne letterj at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:02:35 UTC 2011

Jon,

When dealing with software migrations setting up a staging environment
is a must.   Set up your staging environment with as many production
configs as possible and install the current code then add data.   Be
sure you can add data that represents your actual use cases.  Once
that's done upgrade the machines on one zone and run your tests.   At
that point, you should be able to determine the functional impact.

Some important things to test:
Are there problems with objects or containers replicating from old
code vs new code
Are old accounts, containers, and objects working well on using the new code.

The dispersion-report is a great tool for production monitoring but it
can be very useful for testing too.

Production upgrades.    Depending on your use case you can shutdown
all backend processes for a short time, upgrade the machines, then
restart them.    Another things to keep in mind is that with a cluster
of more four zones a single zone can be updated and watched to
determine the impact and them either pull it out of the ring and reset
it or continue upgrading the next zone.

--J