[Openstack] python-novaclient vs. python-openstack.compute

Dan Prince dan.prince at rackspace.com
Wed May 18 13:28:28 UTC 2011

Hey Sandy,

So the API version works in the sense that if you hit /v1.0 you'll get the older v1.0 style API. Likewise for /v1.1.

The big things still in flux as far as v1.1 support in nova:

-making the JSON and XML serialization match the spec. On the JSON side there are some "collections" changes that need making. On the XML side I'm not sure we always adhere to the SPEC.

-ID and HREFs (the ability to specify a custom glance image HREF when creating an instance). The implementation for this in cactus just chopped of the image ID from the URL and used that as the image_id for the image service.

---

When updating a v1.0 binding to v1.1 you'll have to look at changes in metadata, new image metadata support, and some things moved around (change password moved from an update to an action), extensions, etc.

---

I wouldn't be opposed to maintaining bindings outside of the project. Like Soren points out it does keep us honest. The downside of this is the bindings probably won't have any niche features and may lag new features a bit. I see external bindings as being more end user friendly and as such you may have a hard time getting features we add for administrative API's implemented (zones, users, etc.).

In Ruby land...

We have started bumping the Openstack Compute Ruby bindings to support v1.1 features. There is a branch in the works here: lp:~ironcamel/ruby-openstack-compute/v11 which takes care of most of the metadata changes, ID's and HREFs, formats, etc. We weren't planning on pushing the new Ruby gem with v1.1 support until the serialization stuff finally settles down.

Hope this helps.

Dan