[Openstack] Graphical Console for VMs w/o Network Stacks

Mike Scherbakov mihgen at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:08:05 UTC 2011

Hi,
there is a VNC button if you click on instance link in Dashboard.

Instructions on how to make it work are below.

   1. Get Nova
    mkdir ~/src
   bzr branch lp:nova
   2. Get noVNC
    cd ~/src
   git clone https://github.com/openstack/noVNC.git
    3. Get and install my branch of dashboard
    cd ~/src
   bzr branch lp:openstack-dashboard
   cd openstack-dashboard/openstack-dashboard
   python tools/install_venv.py
   cp local/local_settings.py.example local/local_settings.py
    4. Install and run Nova
    cd ~/src/nova
   sudo contrib/nova.sh install .
   sudo contrib/nova.sh run .
    5. Run vncproxy
   Create new screen window with <ctrl>-a <ctrl>-c
    bin/nova-vncproxy --vncproxy_wwwroot ~/src/noVNC
   6. Run dashboard

   Create new screen window with <ctrl>-a <ctrl>-c
   Prepare dashboard's db (once):
    cd ~/src/openstack-dashboard/openstack-dashboard
   tools/with_venv.sh dashboard/manage.py syncdb

   When asked to create superuser, type "yes" and create user with name
   admin and any email and password.
    cd ~/src/openstack-dashboard/openstack-dashboard
   tools/with_venv.sh dashboard/manage.py runserver 8080

   Now you can navigate to http://127.0.0.1:8080, login with user admin and
   specified password and have fun.

Regards,
Mike Scherbakov