[Openstack] Code Reviews

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:38:25 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,

We have quite a large backlog of merge proposals here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~rlane/nova/lp773690/+merge/59565

I've been attempting to go through them to find some high priority ones to review.  It seems like people are being pretty active in reviewing branches, but there are a lot old branches that haven't been touched in a while.  So first I have a general request that anyone who has old branches in for review:  please update your branches or mark them Work In Progress to remove them from the review queue.

I'd also like to propose a change to our process that will make the ready to review branches easier to find. I'd like for nova-core to set branches to WIP if there are two significant needs fixings or or needs information.  That way everyone doesn't have to sort through branches that have already been reviewed but are waiting on updates.  We may need to use our judgement here, so if a large branch has a needs fixing for a minor typo or some such, you could leave it under needs review so it gets viewed by more people.

Here is an example where i think this policy will be useful:

You see a branch that already has a 'Needs Fixing: this needs a failing test".  If you look at the branch and reach the same conclusion, you can mark it "Needs Fixing: I agree, needs a test like xxx" and then set the branch to Work In Progress.  When the author has added the test or needs to make more comments, he can set it back to Needs Review.

I think this will generally keep the review board a little cleaner and also each branch will end up with a couple of people that are queued to review once the changes have come in. Does this seem acceptable to everyone?  If I don't here any major dissents, I will add this info to the wiki and we can put it into practice.

Vish