[Openstack] Notifications proposal

Monsyne Dragon mdragon at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed May 11 16:10:10 UTC 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Matt Dietz wrote:

Hey Seshu,

1) Yes, that will be contained within the publisher_id field of the message body
2) We should be able to get customer related data from the message where it makes sense. It would be contained within the payload dictionary. Given that not all messages are going to be related to customers, we shouldn't explicitly force this in the standard message attributes
3) The mandatory fields on the nova side of things are: message_id, publisher_id, timestamp, priority, event_type, and payload. Payload is a dictionary containing the data that Nova is sending a notification for in the first place. On the Rackspace side of things, outside of System Usages, no message headers have been defined to my knowledge. We're simply designing the transport mechanism. Dragon can weigh in more on what usages will look like.

Ya, the usages are pretty simple notifications. They all have the account ID/user on them.
By IP address, do you mean source IP for the api request?  That we do not have (the usages are often generated by the worker processes long after the api call is over)
If you mean IP of the instance, that can be looked up from the instance id.

For instance usages (create/delete/resize, etc) they have the instance ID, and type (flavor).
For things like adding/removing IP's they have  the IP and the instance id.

For bandwidth usages, they have the bandwidth used, the period, and the instance.

Seshu Vavilikolanu <seshu.vavilikolanu at RACKSPACE.COM<mailto:seshu.vavilikolanu at RACKSPACE.COM>> wrote:

I am part of cloud integration team in RackSpace, Austin.  I am working on Analytics project.
I went through the blue-prints of notifications and related topics.    I have few questions, I am still trying to learn about openstack, so please let me know if any of these are already documented and available somewhere.

  *   Can we know what service generated this particular notification?  e.g.:  Auth, etc…
     *   Can we get the service name from publisher id or some other field?
  *   Can we get the IP address/customer/account ID from the message?    I am interested to know how this is handled when we are using load balancer.
  *   Are there any mandatory fields in message?   I guess these notifications are generated by Nova using Atom events, right?

--
--Monsyne M. Dragon

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.