[Openstack] PREROUTING 169.254.169.254 rule shoud not on Compute node.......

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Wed May 11 03:29:53 UTC 2011

For what it's worth, we're running in a configuration similar to the
one in the attached diagram using VlanManager. When we moved the
nova-network service off of the machine with nova-api, we needed to
add an additional prerouting rule on the network server that prevented
the traffic from being sent out via NAT (which caused the source
address to be lost, resulting in a metadata resolution error). Once
the packets arrive at the api service with the correct source address,
they need a route back, via the nova-network server in order to get
the response packets onto the correct vlan. With a single nova-network
server, a static route will do. With multiple nova-network instances
on different systems, things get a little more complicated. We ended
up setting up route distribution via quagga between the nova-api
server, and the nova-network servers. This ensures that nova-api knows
which nova-network instance to use to reach any particular project
network.
 -nld