[Openstack] Chef Deployment System for Swift - a proposed design - feedback?

Judd Maltin judd at newgoliath.com
Fri May 6 15:35:51 UTC 2011

Hi Joe -

Answers inline:

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Jay Payne <letterj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Judd,
>
> I'm not that familiar with Chef (I'll do some research) but I have a
> couple of questions and some thoughts:
>
> 1.  Is this for a multi-server environment?

Yes.

> 2.  Are all your proxy nodes going to have "allow_account_management =
> true" in the configs?   It might be a good idea to have a second proxy
> config for account management only

I'm not sure - I don't know about the performance impact of such a config.

> 3.  Have you looked at using swauth instead of auth?

Not yet.

> 4.  Have you thought about an admin or client node that has utilities
> on it like st and stats-report?

Good suggestion.  An admin node which is part of the cluster and not subject
to the performance sensitivity of line of business nodes.

> 5.  How where will you do on-going ring management or changes?

Rings are defined in a Chef "DataBag".  When the databag is updated, Chef
detects the file change.  When the chef-client runs on the nodes, they pick
up the config changes.  Scheduling and orchestrating the chef-client runs
will also be expressed in the data-bag (or from an orchestration server)

> 6.  I would think about including some type of functional test at the
> end of the deployment process to verify everything was created
> properly and that all nodes can communicate.

Good point - adding in validation steps and final functional test.