[Openstack] Swift PPA's

Greg Holt gholt at rackspace.com
Fri May 6 14:27:08 UTC 2011

On May 6, 2011, at 5:06 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:

> 2011/5/5 Chuck Thier <cthier at gmail.com>:
>> Hey Soren,
>> We've asked similar questions before :)
>> Ever since the packaging was pulled out of the source tree, we have been
>> mostly out of the packaging loop.  Since then most of the packaging details
>> have been handled by monty and you.
>
> It's been almost 6 months since I was deactivated from the swift-core
> team. I did not set up your PPAs.

Are you you being serious Soren? Whenever the Swift packages get out of whack we chase you or Monty down because we barely have a clue what's going on with them.

A few months ago the things seemed to have moved from the "since the beginning" location of lp:swift/debian to lp:~openstack-ubuntu-packagers/swift/ubuntu and I had to ask you for access to that repo. You were the one who created that repo, I presume now that you did that because you had been removed from swift-core and still wanted to build the packages.

Of course, I might be confusing what are PPAs and what are just "packages built by Jenkins". My confusion is quite likely since -- We never managed the things.

> I offered to sort out your PPA's for
> the Bexar release, but I believe your response was "lol". :) I'm not
> entirely sure what happened after that.

That's probably because we were amazed at the question and just gave up and moved on.

>> We build our own packages for production, so we have mostly ignored it,
>> figuring you guys would keep the packaging in line with what Nova was doing.
>>  I'm all for cleaning that stuff up though, so let us know if there is
>> anything you need from us.
>
> Understanding what purpose your current PPA's serve would be quite
> helpful (in order to find a good migration path to line up with
> everyone else).

As far as I know, they're to serve the OpenStack community's general usage, but seeing as it looks like Monty (or something he had automated) was what /was/ uploading them and hasn't for 1.3/Cactus I guess that's not true at this point. The 1.3 packages I can find based on your new branch I mentioned above only builds for natty and oneiric and as far as I know has never done lucid (even before natty was released).

> It would also be helpful to understand (and have documented) how your
> production packages are different (and why).

We make our own because the OpenStack side seemed a mess and a moving target we had no control over. Building our own packages allows us to qa them properly, for lucid (the latest LTS version), and not have to worry about a newly kicked box getting some newly autocreated version from lp that we haven't tested.

We haven't been overly public about this or made a big documentation page on it because we didn't want to step on toes. But, since you're indicating you thought we were in control even we had none...

>> We do though have a couple of docs that reference the ppas, so if we make
>> changes, then we should make changes there as well:
>>  http://swift.openstack.org/howto_installmultinode.html
>> http://swift.openstack.org/debian_package_guide.html
>
> What is that based on (if I wanted to provide patches for it)? Is it
> in the swift code repo?

Yes, just like nova.openstack.org swift.openstack.org is autobuilt via Sphinx from the project's trunk.

As far as what should be done by who at this point, I should probably wait to comment on that part until I get back in the office next week. Are things moving to github? If so, what all is staying on launchpad? Didn't John Purrier form a new integration team with Monty and others to maintain packaging?