[Openstack] Creating a forum

Jeff Kramer jeffkramer at gmail.com
Fri May 6 03:36:41 UTC 2011

vBulletin has a lot of add-ons and is a tried and true, albeit somewhat
crufty solution.  I've sysadmined a 2 million page view/month vB 3 install
for more than a decade now.  It's sturdy, but is showing it's age.  One new
alternative to vBulletin is xenForo:

http://xenforo.com/

It's developed by ex-vBulletin folks who started with a clean slate and
generally takes a more modern approach.  There'a also Invision Power Board,
the other 500 lb gorilla of the self-hosted forum landscape.

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM, <brooks at aristacloud.com> wrote:

> The best, which is relative, and one of the most widely used forum apps is
> vbulletin <http://www.vbulletin.com/>.  It's commercial, but inexpensive
> ($195.00 US).  Their new CMS product ($295 US) also looks interesting. In
> addition to all of the standard vbulletin forum functionality we could
> provide community members with blog space for articles.  It allows for
> tagging, cross posting from forums to docs and blogs, etc.  I don't have any
> experience with the app but it could be an interesting Open Stack social
> experiment.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Thu, 5 May 2011, Jordan Rinke wrote:
>
>   Forums (forums.openstack.org) have just been approved by the PPB.
>> Delegation
>>  on working with the community to get consensus on selecting a software
>> for
>>  them is to Chad Keck, Myself and Stephen Spector.
>>
>>  I should note that based on what I read it appears Forums AND Questions
>> seem
>>  to be the answer to the forums debate with a sticky on the forums
>> pointing
>>  to whatever the QA software is to funnel specific questions to a
>> questions
>>  facility but also to allow general discussion on the forums. Right now, I
>>  personally am only focusing on the forums/discussion portion since that
>> was
>>  the only portion specifically voted on that I am aware of.
>>
>>  If you have a suggestion for forum software please provide it and I will
>> get
>>  demos of every one recommended up and we can put the software to a vote
>> for
>>  the official forums.

Jeff Kramer
jeffkramer at gmail.com