[Openstack] Extending Openstack's scheduling capabilities

Luis Miguel Silva luismiguelferreirasilva at gmail.com
Fri May 6 01:08:02 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I'm evaluating Openstack and i'm interested in extending it's
scheduling capabilities.
So i'm looking for ways to replace Openstack's scheduler component
with my own (so i can route the requests to an external scheduler that
the company i work for develops).

Any ideas on how i can do it?

During my research, i found that there are 3 scheduling types in Openstack:
- chance scheduler
- zone scheduler
- and the simple scheduler

Is the scheduler component in Openstack modular / easy to replace?
What options do i have?

p.s. i've also found a post saying
(http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AI0tmD2qMxsJ:https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/%2Bbug/766444+openstack+bypass+scheduler&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com):
"I've seen plenty of questions come in asking how to launch a VM on a
particular compute node. I learned this is available with the burnin
merge, where you can bypass the scheduler, but no documentation was
included with that code. Please document it - I can review and edit as
needed."
Any idea where i can get more information on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Luis Silva