[Openstack] [SPAM] Re: Creating a forum

Jordan Rinke jordan at openstack.org
Wed May 4 15:48:41 UTC 2011

Because there is still debate over a forum or a QnA site I will wait to see what the decision is tomorrow before making any demo sites for review. The problem still is that the QnA solves a different issue, it provides a means to answer very specific questions not a realm for discussion. A user forum allows people to ask questions which require discussion and may have various trade offs. Not just "how do I get a list of all running instances using the euca2ools" which would be a great QnA question but questions like "How do I HA my mySQL DB for Nova" a question that will involve discussion, multiple potential answers based on their configuration and have trade offs depending on what they are wanting. There will be no specifically right answer. I think a number of people are failing to fully understand that not everyone is a developer and not everyone has the understanding to ask a very specific and provably solved question, and that not all questions are even specifically solvable but that the discussion around those provides valuable information for the community.

A QnA site is basically an evolution of the mailing list which makes it fairly obvious that everyone who loves the ML loves the QnA it is an extension of the same concept but it is to narrow to accept the user community as a whole.

For a moment, stop thinking as someone who has experience (possibly in depth developer experience) with OpenStack and think like someone who has heard a little about it, wants to talk to someone about the test install the are attempting to run but doesn't know how to go about it. If we want mass adoption we need to provide a welcome area for this type of discussion. We can develop the best software in the world but if we don't make it easy for people to use and understand and discuss it is useless. We should be doing everything we can to make the community as accepting of new members as possible and I think a forum is very much so one of those methods.

I am not even saying that the Qna needs to be exclusive, we can have both if that seems right... I don't know at what point we decided they were mutually exclusive.