[Openstack] Creating a forum

Michael Shuler mshuler at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:26:38 UTC 2011

OK, I am going to re-reply to the same message, top post, leave all the
relevant (and irrelevant) info below, reiterate my opinion, and expand.

phpBB is a poor choice of forum software, IMO.  As was mentioned by
others, it has a terrible security record, but that is not entirely my
point, relative to the conversation I replied to.  I think most web
forum software packages, in whatever language and state of security
maintenance suffer from an overall design problem.

*Typical* forums are a horrible conversation format, IMO, however people
seem to love them for some reason (see the current first post - what's
important seems to be my avatar, skype#...).  Every, and I mean *every*
single busy forum site that I have encountered, has some FAQ posted
somewhere and exceedingly repetitive replies to posts about "Search the
Forums before posting" blah, blah..  There are a very few exceptions to
this common web forum format failure.  The fact that they need human
intervention to "sticky" commonly asked posts and keep new users
directed to read and search and post intelligently.. at that point, why
not just use wikis more - people can ask questions and get answers on a
wiki.

One exception to the typical web forum, StackExchange (and all related),
is an interesting suggestion.  It does happen to be one of the forum-ish
sites that I think solves some of the common format issues of typical
web forums.  Unlike most other forum posts, which are arrived at by
keyword searches, I can imagine people actually checking the site for
new "interesting" posts and following along the "hot" conversations,
etc., which do not require human intervention to bubble to the top.  The
minimalization of avatar pictures, lack of silly user taglines, and
other *content* distractions put the focus where it belongs.

There - hopefully a more wordy reply gets people back on track and
thinking about what they might want to look for in a web-based
conversation area.

--
Michael