[Openstack] Bare metal provisioning group

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Tue May 3 21:35:48 UTC 2011

+1 - I'm going to write-up a blue print so we can formalize the discussion by EOW.

The first pass will be based on what we've done with Crowbar (to be Apache 2) with some idea of an API to generalize discovery.

Lorin: I'd be happy to discuss w/ you in advance so we can compare notes.

Rob Hirschfeld
@zehicle

From: openstack-bounces+rob_hirschfeld=dell.com at lists.launchpad.net [mailto:openstack-bounces+rob_hirschfeld=dell.com at lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Vishvananda Ishaya
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 4:19 PM
To: Lorin Hochstein
Cc: Openstack
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Bare metal provisioning group

+1 on this. It is a very cool feature and I hope we can eventually support it.

Vish

On May 3, 2011, at 1:52 PM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:

At the Diablo summit, there were several people who expressed interest in using OpenStack to do bare-metal provisioning of nodes as an alternative to virtualization. We're using this approach at ISI to support Tilera hardware. Our implementation is Tilera-specific, but we'd like to build a more general solution so people could use it for other backends, and to support interfacing with existing provisioning solutions such as xCat, Perceus, and Heckle.

I've set up a group on Launchpad with a mailing list for those who are interested in this type of functionality to discuss backends.

Web page: https://launchpad.net/~nova-bare-metal

Take care,

Lorin
--