[Openstack] Creating a forum

Tue May 3 18:13:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:24, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> A forum is almost always the wrong solution when we talk about a
> developer/technical subject. In my experience it always ended up
> fragmenting the community between developers (who don't read the forums)
> and users (who don't read the rest).

Agreed. I don't know of any technical forums that are really worth visiting.

> The solution for your problem is not a forum. It's a stackexchange-type
> site. Then questions can be edited, de-duplicated and the good answer
> wins, with a karma-based meritocracy that ensures self-administration.

As weird as this may be, karma-based systems seem to be rather
effective as gathering karma becomes a goal in and as of itself. As
long as that improves the overall experience, there is nothing wrong
with this, though.

> So my suggestion is:
> Set up a stackexchange-type site, drop LP Answers.

Alternatively, stackexchange itself could be used. Personally, I don't
care either way about the implementation; the underlying concept are
what counts.

Richard