[Openstack] Creating a forum

Rick Clark rick at openstack.org
Tue May 3 14:24:18 UTC 2011

a few comments about a forum:

+ While I agree with Thierry that most end user apps have forums, some
SA/Dev oriented software also have forums.

+ I think there is a need for a place where people can ask simple
questions they would not feel comfortable asking on the ML.

- Forums are very labor intensive, we need to ensure that we actually
have people to do the work

- the successful forums tend to be in communities that number in the
hundreds of thousands or millions.

-+ Devs tend not to participate, but that is ok.  They don't have to, if
you have a robust user community, which I am not sure we do, yet.

+ it's ok to try and fail.  If there are people like Jordan that want to
do the work and start up a forum, I say let them.  We just need to watch
it and be prepared to shut it down if it is not succeeding.

!!!Please do not try to combine the forums with the mailing list. It is
ok to have different communication channels for different groups.

+1 to a stack exchange type of forum.