[Openstack] Feature Freeze status

Ewan Mellor Ewan.Mellor at eu.citrix.com
Tue Mar 29 12:54:05 UTC 2011

I don't agree.  Unplanned features aren't an extra gift -- they're extra work for everyone.

Thierry is trying to stabilize a release and get it out on time.  He can't do that if people come along saying "here's an extra gift that you now need to give time to review".  We're already short on resources, and Thierry needs to prioritize based on the capacity that we collectively have.  For example, Citrix has bumped a number of features to Diablo, because it was clear that we wouldn't get everything reviewed and merged and stabilized in time unless we deferred low priority work.  Unplanned features just put all that in jeopardy.

If someone comes along with a random branch as a "gift", then it's not unreasonable for us to say "Thank you for that, we'll take it in the next unstable period in a couple of months.  In the meantime, please write a brief blueprint so that we don't forget about it."

A blueprint doesn't have to be burdensome.  Big features need a long time at the planning stage, but for other things there's no reason why the blueprint should take more than half-an-hour.  I don't think it's unreasonable to ask anybody to spend half-an-hour writing down what their new shiny thing is, how it works, and how to test it.

Cheers,

Ewan.