[Openstack] Feature Freeze status

Todd Willey todd at ansolabs.com
Mon Mar 28 18:32:56 UTC 2011

Open == Accessible.  Open != Verbose.  I'm willing to discuss more at
the design summit, but my biggest concern is that we let the most
people possible can contribute.  This includes those who work behind
closed doors on their own pet projects.

This thread started specifically in response to a few branches that
didn't hinder anyone else's work, but also didn't have blueprints.  So
what?  Blueprints should only be required for coordination when doing
large work that can conflict with others'.  Code should be the only
artifact required to contribute, as that will keep contribution more
accessible.  If these proposers had run afoul of any other work in
progress where the other branch _did_ have a blueprint, we could have
just said "Sorry, you'll have to rebase after this other thing goes
in, and coordinate better in the future," at which point they could
have kept working to get their patch to land or walk away without
getting it approved.  Reviews are open so people working on branches
that have blueprints can complain if a "rogue" branch gets proposed
that would interfere with their plans.

I really feel like we're making a problem where none exists.  You can
certainly craft a scenario where a lack of coordination causes a
problem in a branch like this, but we don't have actual evidence it
will happen.  If it does, we can just push back against the proposer
to fix things.  Whats the problem with that?

-todd[1]