[Openstack] Instance IDs and Multiple Zones

Jon Slenk jslenk at internap.com
Tue Mar 22 17:45:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
>        Well, since they are defined as: `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
> I would say the chance of a stringish thing slipping in is pretty small. :)

if the schema cannot be changed (which might be worth reconsidering
since it seems to be a bit of a root cause of trouble) then maybe you
have to reserve the last 4 or 5 digits of the id to be the zone id,
and then autoincrement on top of that? on the assumption that there
would be a limit of 9999 or 99999 zones ever.

but really i'd hazard to suggest that it should somehow be 2 parts,
neither of which are super constrained: a zone part and an in-zone-id
part.

it could even be that the id is left as-is and is semantically
required to be joined with the zone name as a prefix before it is a
valid interzone id.

sincerely.