[Openstack] A single cross-zone database?

Justin Santa Barbara justin at fathomdb.com
Wed Mar 16 16:22:25 UTC 2011

Thanks for raising this Sandy: +1 on keeping separate DBs until a problem
arises.

I don't see a performance problem with recursively querying child zones.  I
guess this will partially depend on our zone topology: if the intent is to
have child zones that are geographically distributed where the latency
becomes an issue (and it's not clear to me that even this will be a
problem), then we could use a 'caching' approach rather than the 'total
consistency' approach that a database implies.

It does seem like there's a separate issue, which is finding the appropriate
zone for a given instance.  Again, we could easily use caching here, and
simply retry on cache miss.

What sort of complexity of zones hierarchies are we contemplating?  Even at
our full target scales, I don't believe we're talking about more than a
dozen zones (?), and I believe that even the naive implementation which
simply recursively queries child zones with no caching will be more than
good enough.

Justin