[Openstack] Returning the project for resources in the EC2 API

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 10 23:47:34 UTC 2011

This is in regards to lp732924.

There currently isn't any simple way to know which resources are in
which project. Most resources return the project via some attribute:

* Instances: ownerId
* Addresses: instanceId
* Security Groups: ownerId

Volumes return an owner via status, but it's the user, not the project.

This makes it difficult to handle things in frontends, as certain
queries may return resources from multiple projects.

Is there any way that we can add this information to the EC2 API in a
somewhat consistent way (such as via a new attribute)? If not, is it
at least possible for all the resources to return the project in some
way I can parse out in a dirty hackish way (like using status in
volumes)?

Filters would help out here, in that I could specifically search for a
project; however, from a performance perspective, I'd like to be able
to search for project x, y, and z, then filter accordingly in the
frontend when necessary as well.

- Ryan Lane