[Openstack] Updates to the OpenStack Governance Model

Rick Clark rick at openstack.org
Fri Mar 4 21:29:40 UTC 2011

On 03/03/2011 03:32 PM, John Purrier wrote:
> Updates to the OpenStack Governance Model have been made and are published
> here: http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Model.

These changes are positive, and correct some problems with the current
model.

But, I have issues with the process.

* This was not done in the open, as promised in the four opens, which I
wrote, btw.  There was no public discussion or even publicly available
minutes from meetings where this was discussed or decided.

* We have a board that is, at least partially, elected by the community
for a defined term.  If it is going to be dissolved, shouldn't the
community or at least the Board itself be involved, or consulted.  This
should have been discussed and approved by the POC.

* How can we know that this won't happen again in 6 months.  If the
current board can be unilaterally removed, without a vote from the
community or the board itself, what stops them from doing it again if
they are not happy with the newly elected board.  The new governance
should specifically state that any further changes must be approved by
the project policy board.

* The press knew about this before the developers did.  Before John sent
this to the project list, there were already multiple articles about it
in the press.  It was more important to tell the press, than it was to
tell the people actually working on the project. In the end, openstack
will not be judged by the number of tweets per day, or whether or not
there were negative articles written about it, but by the quality and
usefulness of the software produced by all of you on this list.

I applaud Rackspace for making positive changes in the governance. But,
I hope they will step back and think about the process they used to make
them and reassure the community that it is an important part of the
process.

Rick Clark