[Openstack] Multiple Versions in Openstack API

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:08:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Brian Waldon <brian.waldon at rackspace.com> wrote:
> As Brian is temporarily out of the office, I'll answer for him. Here are a
> few (major-version) differences I see in the 1.1 spec:

OK. Either Brian is good ;)

> 1) marker keyword replaces offset for pagination (functionally different,
> not just a different name)

OK. This would mean that the current
nova.api.openstack.common.limited() function should move to be instead
a middleware class, say,
nova.api.openstack.limits.v10.LimitMiddleware, and that we can make a
v11.LimitMiddleware for the new 1.1 functionally-different limiter.

> 2) server addresses container structured differently

This is easily solved in the code I showed. Simply implement the
index()/show()/details() method to return the different structure.

> 3) all containers structured differently, now with links

Again, this can be solved by implementing methods differently (using
object-method overrides in the child class).

> 3) shared ip groups is removed

So, the shared IP methods of the 1.0 API are all in
/nova/api/openstack/shared_ip_groups.py. We would do the following:

* bzr mv nova/api/openstack/shared_ip_groups.py
nova/api/openstack/shared_ip_groups/v10.py
* cp nova/api/openstack/shared_ip_groups/v10.py
nova/api/openstack/shared_ip_groups/v11.py

Open nova/api/openstack/shared_ip_groups/v11.py and set ALL of the
Controller methods to raise faults.Fault(exc.HTTPNotImplemented()),
just as the Shared IP Groups controller currently does for update(),
delete(), and create():

    def create(self, req):
        """ Creates a new Shared IP group """
        raise faults.Fault(exc.HTTPNotImplemented())

-jay