[Openstack] Entities in OpenStack Auth

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:46:16 UTC 2011

Hi Eric, interesting proposal. Comments inline.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Eric Day <eday at oddments.org> wrote:
> For that query you would, but not all. If you want to create a new
> instance for project1 you would:
>
> nova.openstack.org/v1.1/project1/servers
>
> Or if you wanted to reboot instance X in project1:
>
> nova.openstack.org/v1.1/project1/servers/X
>
> Note that the following resource is not the same as the last, since
> justin wouldn't be the owner for instance X, project1 would be:
>
> nova.openstack.org/v1.1/justin/servers/X
>
> I think searches will always have special cases with filter options,
> but for identifying a canonical URL for a resource, having the entity
> name of the owner in there seems correct.
>
> The main thing I'm trying to figure out is whether to use an extra
> entity in the path for new service URLs. Swift does and Nova does not,
> and it would be nice to have some consistency. I see the benefits of
> both, and in Swift's case it needs to for simple public URLs (where
> there is no user context).

Are you proposing that an entity always be the owner of something?

If so, I dislike using the term "entity", since entity does not imply
ownership. I'd prefer "owner" or "account", since the latter implies
control over something. Entity connotes neither ownership nor control.

I'd like to get the semantics around these terms correct. We've
already run into numerous issues with the term "metadata" and I really
don't feel like introducing another source of confusion in both the
documentation and the code comments.

-jay

-jay