[Openstack] Management API

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:39:00 UTC 2011

Hi Glen,

I've read through the wiki page and although I think the individual
commands are worthy commands to add to the API, I don't see why this
is all being bunched into (yet another) API. I think if you broke out
these commands into individual blueprints:

* Contributors could have already completed work on some of them and
others would have already gotten a good head start
* We wouldn't be setting up (yet another) giant debate on whether all
this functionality should be grouped into a Management API

In addition, some of the added commands have dependencies that other
commands don't. An example: the /accounts stuff clearly depends on the
Authentication stuff currently being prototyped and debated. But the
/hosts commands clearly don't. Grouping all this stuff together
implies that the commands cannot be logically coded separately and
distinctly proposed for inclusion into the singular OpenStack API.

While I certainly recognize and respect that you need to provide a gap
analysis to management inside Rackspace, doing things this way will
actually prolong the coding of at least a good portion of these things
IMHO. And, since we're now less than 2 weeks from feature freeze, I
can't see how prolonging the coding on these features is going to
help. I would propose that blueprints be created and assigned almost
immediately to contributors for the commands in the proposed
management API that do not have dependencies on things like
Authentication. The fact that authentication is happening so late in
the release cycle is already going to throw a wrench in many
blueprints that are dependent on it...

-jay