[Openstack] State of OpenStack Auth

Monsyne Dragon mdragon at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 3 23:15:45 UTC 2011

On 3/3/11 4:46 PM, Michael Mayo wrote:
>>> This is true.  An endpoint list is certainly necessary, but it would be great if I only needed to call that one time instead of every time an auth token expires.
>> You would probably want to refresh the service list somewhat regularly
>> though, so perhaps we can time the refresh rate with the expiration
>> time for the token. :)
> Yeah that works fine for the mobile clients I'm building, since their purpose is to expose a nice UI for every possible OpenStack service available, but for someone who wants to use a single service (swift only, for example), there would be no use for ever needing to get a service list, except via curl one time during development to get the swift endpoint.  In that person's case, a separate auth request is wasteful compared to using HTTP Basic or request signing.

This is assuming that the endpoint url does not change, and is going to
be the same for all users.  It could be that the, say swift url, that
you get is not the same as what someone else gets, based on their
account, service level, or even current IP (for directing folks to the
'nearest' endpoint).

     -Monsyne Dragon
     work:         210-312-4190
     mobile        210-441-0965