[Openstack] Gzip Compression

Brian Lamar brian.lamar at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 3 16:06:41 UTC 2011

Part of the API specification says that the OpenStack API supports gzip compression in requests and responses. I have an extremely simple WSGI middleware implementation of this finished, but it does not support streaming which could potentially be non-performant for large responses.

Keep in mind this is middleware and could be added/removed easily.

My initial thought is to not attempt to include this type of middleware in OpenStack because gzip compression is best handled by a proxy system such as Nginx/Apache/etc.

If there are objections I can submit the gzip middleware implementation I have for review, or begrudgingly implement a streaming implementation.

Thanks for any/all comments!