[Openstack] Entities in OpenStack Auth

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Wed Mar 2 19:20:25 UTC 2011

Hi Brian,

The proposal abstracts 'users' and 'projects' to just 'entities',
although we may want to use 'accounts' since this already maps to how
swift works. So a user is an account, a project is an account, and
accounts can give access to other accounts (possibly with specific
roles). Therefore the query to list all servers in "project1" is
really deployment specific, and could just be:

GET http://nova.openstack.org/v1.1/project1/servers

Which is just an application of the generic:

GET http://nova.openstack.org/v1.1/<account>/servers

As I mentioned before, we'll probably want search options for depth
so it can include nested accounts and filters. For example:

GET http://nova.openstack.org/v1.1/user1/servers?depth=2&filter=proj1,proj2

Here user1, proj1, and proj2 are all account names.

As for unique IDs, this again is something we should probably try to
be consistent on across services. With nova today, ID's are only unique
within a cluster (shared DB instance), so two clusters would currently
clash. We need something more than just a unique ID when we start
connecting public and private clouds. You can't control the unique ID
generation so a bad private cloud could start duplicating 'unique'
ID's on purpose. We need some namespace to prevent these collisions
and limit the damage, and account seems like the most appropriate
(and matches what Swift does, so there is some consistency).

-Eric